hopetoread

Hope To Read

Maybe: A Little Zen for Little Ones - Sanjay Nambiar

I don't understand how this author can make a living as a freelance copywriter nor how this book won a Mom's Choice Awards Silver Medal and a Gelett Burgess Children's Book Awards Gold Medal. I believe awards should be based on 100% of a book and that includes copy and edit. Maybe some awards are? Maybe not.

Within the first five pages you see significant spelling, grammar, and punctuation errors. Each of these flaws leads to distraction from the story. The book is geared toward 5-7 year olds yet has these errors. We cannot expect children to learn to read fluently if we are giving them books with so many flaws. The book was edited by someone with the same last name as the author. Maybe it's a coincidence? Maybe not. The book was published three years ago in 2011. Since then two additional books have been published in the same series. One would assume edits should have been made prior to adding to the series.

The book version I have is the Kindle version directly downloaded from the Amazon site. When switching to the hardback option and clicking "look inside" the first spelling error is not on that version. Maybe the hardback version differs slightly? Maybe not.

The story, morals, and underlying theme are to be applauded. The story situation and events are an ideal way to introduce children to Western philosophies. Especially for those with little to no prior exposure. Maybe this makes the rating worth 3 stars? Maybe not.

The illustrations and good although there are significant portioning differences between child and adult characters. These differences are visually jarring and awkward. Maybe symbolisms? Maybe not.

The story summation on the final page is lengthy, not suitable for 5-7 year olds, and an adult will need to read and explain it to younger readers. Maybe? Maybe not.

Hope ~ 3 out of 5 stars